Ready To Start A Dollars for Scholars Chapter In Your Hometown?
Dollars for Scholars works in all kinds of communities, from small towns to urban centers and everywhere in between.
How it Works
Dollars for Scholars unites communities in supporting and encouraging local students from all walks of life. To fit the needs of your city, school district or organization, Scholarship America provides three ready-made models for joining the movement.
- Your city, town or district can join as a Community Chapter, operating under the umbrella of our IRS tax exemption and 501(c)(3) designation.
- Your company can create a Corporate Chapter, which is also able to operate under Scholarship America’s nonprofit designation.
- If you’re an existing nonprofit looking to add a scholarship component, you can license the Dollars for Scholars model and become an Affiliate Provider.
Benefits and Expectations
Providing community scholarships via Dollars for Scholars comes with a host of benefits, including instant charitable status, trademark protection, partnership with colleges and universities, online scholarship management and a customizable, hosted website.
In exchange, Scholarship America expects two things from all affiliates:
- You raise money annually with a goal of awarding impactful, performance-based renewable scholarships to students with financial need who have also demonstrated motivation and perseverance.
- You maintain an ongoing connection with scholarship recipients and track student outcomes. Scholarships are most effective at increasing college completion rates when combined with some type of social engagement — adult or peer mentoring, clubs/activities, summer internships and online discussion or social networking programs. Whatever engagement activity a program chooses, the purpose should be to provide personal and/or professional support for scholarship recipients in order to help them succeed in college and in life.
How Do I Start?
The first step in the affiliation process is to get in touch with your Director of Community Engagement and fill out a Chapter Organizer Profile: click here to get started.
NOTE: Subsequent steps will require help from others in your community. After you start the process, take time to identify and select other organizers/leaders to help plan and lay the foundation for your Dollars for Scholars program. Scholarship America is also here to help every step of the way. Questions? Contact Don Setterlof, Director of DFS Affiliate and Growth.