When it comes to starting a Dollars for Scholars chapter, here are some of the most commonly asked questions.
Visit our Start a Chapter page.
- Community Chapter: your city, town or district can join as a Community Chapter, operating under the umbrella of Scholarship America’s IRS tax exemption and 501© (3) designation.
- Affiliate Provider: if you are an existing nonprofit looking to add a scholarship component, you can license the Dollars for Scholars model and become an Affiliate Provider.
- Corporate Chapter: a locally-operated organization sponsored by a private company or corporation, led by employee volunteers and affiliated as a Dollars for Scholars chapter under Scholarship America’s IRS tax exemption and 501© (3) designation.
Yes, there are fees that include a setup fee, which is based on the type of chapter you are looking to create, plus fees based on operating budget. Please contact our Dollars for Scholars affiliation specialists for more information.
- On average, 2-4 months
- Depends on a number of factors:
- Additional paperwork and filings within state (i.e. Incorporation, By-Laws, Scholarships Defined, Dedicated Volunteers. etc.)
- Do you have enough people to volunteer?
- How much do you know about your community (look at census information, etc.)
The IRS requires a President, Secretary, Treasurer, and it is encouraged to have 5-7 committed people.
No. One does not have to live within the town and/or city they are looking to establish a Dollars for Scholars chapter, but it is ideal to secure other board members in the area to maintain a local presence. To find a Dollars for Scholars nearest you, click here.
$1,200 is the average award size of a scholarship.
Dollars for Scholars are formed by scholars, community groups, religious organizations, and other groups. An Engagement Director will help you consider your target area.
Yes – you will have an Engagement Director located within your region that will work with you and provide the necessary tools and resources to run a successful Dollars for Scholars chapter.