About the Position
- Saint Peter, MN or Minneapolis, MN preferred- Due to COVID-19 pandemic, currently position working remotely with virtual training and onboarding
- Submit resume and application online
Scholarship America is strategically enhancing our internal staff knowledge and abilities through the addition of this role to our team. The Associate General Counsel will serve as the primary internal legal resource to partner and advise the organization on a broad range of legal and commercial matters with a focus on contracting, compliance and risk mitigation.
Essential Job Functions:
- Review, draft and negotiate a board range of commercial contracts with a primary focus on master service agreements, statements of work, data privacy agreements, NDA’s and vendor contracts.
- Serve as primary liaison with outside counsel, as needed, to facilitate risk mitigation, compliance and prudent business practices in support of the organization’s mission.
- Provide leadership, legal guidance for organization efforts on enterprise risk management.
- Provide legal advice in support of new business development initiatives. Perform legal research and analysis on various issues impacting the organization and key strategic initiatives.
- Drive process improvements in contracting and management of third-party vendors with a focus on risk mitigation, adherence to flow down of contract requirements, etc.
- Serve as primary liaison with outside service provider in management of all corporate compliance, annual reporting, and state registrations for solicitation of donations, etc.
- Manage annual federal, state reporting requirements (census related, business licensing, etc.)
- Travel may be necessary for office locations and applicable business needs, less than 10%.
- J.D. required from an accredited U.S. law school
- Member of the State Bar of Minnesota in good standing
- 3+ years of transactional legal experience – contract review, drafting and negotiation
- Experience with developing templates and implementing processes within the contracts lifecycle; familiarity with contract management tools/systems
- Ability to think creatively, devise solutions to challenging problems and effectively drive issues to closure
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, effectively and cooperatively with other people; positive attitude
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills, interpersonal and collaborative skills and the ability to effectively communicate risk-related concepts and legal guidance on complex issues
- Ability to proactively identify and escalate potential legal and business risks to colleagues in the organization and to craft effective solutions that advance the mission
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail in order to produce the highest quality work, including follow up and follow through
- Ability to multi-task by prioritizing multiple projects simultaneously
- Knowledge of data privacy, GDPR regulations
- Experience with vendor management processes, technology
- Non-profit experience
- Core office hours Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- 15 Paid Holidays Annually plus Vacation, Sick & Personal Time
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 403(b) participation with company match
- Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability programs
- Dependent & Employee Education Reimbursement programs