About the Position
- Saint Peter, MN – Due to COVID-19 pandemic, currently position working remotely with virtual training and onboarding
- Submit resume and application online
Scholarship America, a Star Tribune Top Workplace, is looking for an Accountant II–Payroll to join our team, working to help students achieve their dreams of higher education. The Accountant II is responsible for key accounting functions including: account reconciliations, bank reconciliations, financial statement reporting, monthly journal entries, management of charitable registration process, payroll processing and review, and supporting other accounting functions & processes.
(Please note: we are also seeking an Accountant II–Investment. The responsibilities and requirements of both jobs are similar but distinct; we encourage qualified applicants to review both postings.)
We are a mission-driven nonprofit organization focused on supporting students achieve their higher education goals. Our employees are our most vital asset, and we focus on supporting work-life balance with a core work schedule of Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:30 pm consistently throughout the year.
In this position, there are some unavoidable extra time commitments for month-end, quarter-end, and year-end processing. To balance these, we will ensure consistency by offering flexibility around your busy personal and professional schedules and commitments.
Essential Job Functions
- As the Accountant II–Payroll, you will be responsible for reconciling key accounts, including bank accounts with corresponding journal entry updates, third party credit card processing account, payroll liability accounts including Form 941, organizational student payments through external vendor, and others as needed in alignment with operational daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly, and annual compliance standards.
- You will partner with Human Resources to assist in bi-monthly payroll review, approval and execution. This vital responsibility allows us to deliver accurate and prompt payments to our staff and tax partners while coordinating payments and reconciliation of accounts with applicable benefits vendors.
- You will be responsible for key compliance activities including:
- Coordinating with legal counsel to ensure our compliance with state registration requirements and provide required documentation for state filings.
- Engaging as a member of the security & GDPR compliance task force committee.
- Overseeing compliance with document retention policy.
- You will also fulfil additional accounting functions including:
- Administrating our third party credit card processing account and coordinating online donation inquiries.
- Processing online donations daily and coordinating reporting requirements.
- Overseeing Positive Pay/check reconciliation oversight and management of suspect items.
- Distributing updated monthly financial statements to Executive Team members as applicable.
- Serving as backup or assisting other team members with tasks or responsibilities as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree, reflecting professional knowledge of generally accepted accounting standards.
- Three to five years’ work experience in accounting or finance role(s) working with general ledger systems and accounting principles.
- Proficiency using the Microsoft Office Suite (Excel, Outlook, and Word) to report, analyze, and share financial details, information, and reports & analysis for user access and analysis.
- Advanced experience with general accounting processes including multiple bank reconciliations, reflecting dispersed account management and detail orientation.
- Ability to communicate, listen to, and understand information and ideas presented, with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing for effectively meeting common business objectives.
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail in order to produce the highest quality work, including follow up and follow through.
- Ability to troubleshoot and analyze inconsistencies in the data and systems you are working with to improve quality solutions to your internal and external business partners.
- Core office hours Monday-Friday from 8:00 am – 4:30 pm
- 15 Paid Holidays Annually plus Vacation, Sick & Personal Time
- Medical, Dental and Vision Insurance
- 403(b) participation with company match
- Life Insurance, Short-Term & Long-Term Disability programs
- Dependent & Employee Education Reimbursement programs