Sign up for email updates from Scholarship America
Student Volunteer Award:
Eligibility and Selection Criteria
Scholarship America's Dollars for Scholars communities work every day on a local, grassroots level to help their students get a college degree. Student volunteers are an invaluable resource in those communities, and the Dollars for Scholars Student Volunteer Award (SVA) is Scholarship America's way of honoring them. This national program provides special recognition and a scholarship award to students who embody the volunteer spirit of Dollars for Scholars.
To earn one of these $1,000 scholarship awards, students must meet the following eligibility requirements; their application will be evaluated on the following criteria.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- You must be recommended for this award by a current Dollars for Scholars affiliate representative.
- Applicants must be enrolled in or planning to enroll full-time at an accredited two- or four-year college, university, or vocational-technical school.
- Adult students entering or resuming a postsecondary program of study are also eligible.
- Past recipients of the award are eligible to apply again.
- Full-time study is defined as full-term enrollment for the entire upcoming academic year.
Applications will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Level of volunteer service over the past four years measured by hours. Hours volunteered with your local Dollars for Scholars affiliate will be weighted higher, however all eligible volunteer service hours are taken into account. Volunteer service hours are defined as:
- Providing service directly to constituents of a charitable or religious organization or participation in a project sponsored by such an organization.
- Benefiting an organization that has non-profit institutional or organizational affiliation or status.
- Resulting in service to at least one person, other than the student or the student's relative.
- Being performed without compensation to the student.
- Not being performed during scheduled academic periods.
- Not any service mandated by a court.
- Academic achievement measured by GPA
- Work experience measured in hours
- School activities measured by amount of different activities and hours
- Statement of goals
- Students may be asked to provide additional information prior to scholarships being awarded.
- Selected recipients receive a $1,000 nonrenewable scholarship award.
- The top 10 applicants nationwide will be automatically submitted for the National Dollars for Scholars Student Volunteer of the Year award. The recipient of the National award will be able to renew the award for up to three years for a total scholarship worth $4,000 ($1,000 x 4 years).
Support The Dream Award
Scholarship America’s Dream Award received its initial funding thanks to the support of Katie Couric; since the program was created, hundreds of supporters have also stepped forward to help establish this innovative new scholarship vision. Now, we invite you to join the mission!
Success By Degrees
Scholarship America's blog, Success By Degrees, covers items of interest to parents, volunteers, educators and anyone interested in the big issues surrounding education, financial aid and postsecondary success. You'll find policy announcements, news releases and more, every week!
Our print newsletter is issued three times each year, and is also available via email. Each issue looks at how we design and deliver impactful programs -- and how we engage with students, scholarship providers and policymakers.
Take a look at recent and archived issues below, and subscribe here so you don't miss a thing.