Online Application Form
- Type: Full-time, exempt
- Location: Minneapolis, MN
- Reports to: Senior Vice President, Strategic Marketing & Development
About the Position:
Reporting to the Senior VP of Strategic Marketing & Development, the Vice President of Development provides strategic and managerial leadership to the Development Department. This position serves as a member of the Leadership Team and collaborates with management, staff, Board, and the Executive Team to meet contributed revenue goals for the organization. Responsible for actively pursuing internal and external synergies to exceed fundraising goals utilizing traditional and new methods. In addition to providing leadership and oversight of the day-to-day operations of fundraising efforts, this person will stretch the entire team to cultivate new and existing relationships that build a strong revenue pipeline, and ensure good systems and processes are in place among staff, peers and across the organization that support Development efforts.
Essential Job Functions:
- Contributes broadly to the development, and shares responsibility for the fulfillment, of the organization’s mission, strategic plan, and overall growth.
- Builds an efficient, professional office to generate individual, family, corporate, foundation, and government support for increasing fundraising needs.
- Provides leadership to the team of Development Officers and counsel to the Senior Vice President & CEO, in implementing Development objectives that appropriately reflect the organization’s goals.
- Directly manages one or more Development Officers (currently four direct reports) and assigns fundraising goals/objectives and manages performance metrics that drive organizational Development objectives.
- Fosters an organization of continuous process improvement as it relates to internal processes and external stewardship and growth objectives.
- Defines and implements strategies for portfolio and prospect management for Development Officers and other senior leaders as appropriate.
- Leads the team in raising annual, major, capital, and deferred commitments through continuous relationship building, solicitation, and stewardship with prospective and current donors.
- Enlists the President/CEO, Executive and Leadership Teams, Board of Directors, volunteers and staff to significantly increase visibility, enhance the reputation, and increase donations to the organization through their contacts, cultivation and solicitations.
- Partners closely with Vice President of Marketing to ensure a flawless donor experience and improve retention and acquisition.
- Partners with Manager of Development Operations to ensure strong Development processes, portfolio and relationship management systems and performance metrics are in place.
- Works with the CEO and Executive Team to coordinate the annual fundraising campaign and other Development support activities for the Board, Honor Roll Trustees and staff campaign.
- Active responsibility to support organizational events (major annual Gala’s), help secure sponsors, promote attendance, and cultivate/manage event-related relationships; implement mini-event strategy (friend-raisers and other small regional gatherings) as part of stewardship plans.
- Works closely with organizational leaders to identify, cultivate and attract future Board members with national prominence in education and the ability to give.
- Builds the pipeline of potential future donors that will allow the organization to strengthen its relationship with its existing giving base and broaden its support across generations, socio-economic sectors, races, religions and giving ability. Approaches appropriate constituencies to increase and diversify philanthropic giving.
- Directs and supports the consistent implementation of other company initiatives and strategic plan advancement.
Accountabilities and Performance Measures:
- Accountable for achieving annual Contributed Revenue Goals, and providing input to create reliable future revenue growth forecasts.
- Accountable for retention, major donor acquisition and pipeline growth, and retention.
- Accountable for the thorough implementation of Development-related initiatives.
- Responsible for the efficient and thorough use of technology, technology-driven processes/reporting (CRM), and training resources impacting the Development organization.
- Accountable for accurate and on-time reporting required for leadership (Board meetings, etc.) and managing team effectiveness and performance.
- Accountable to achieve assigned strategic objectives defined by organizational leadership.
Responsibilities of All Scholarship America Staff:
- Adhere to Scholarship America policies and procedures.
- Perform other duties and miscellaneous tasks as required.
Minimum requirements in terms of educational background work experience, licenses/certifications or other knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Bachelor’s degree and at least 7 – 10 years of experience in development, with firsthand knowledge of its major functions. Solid knowledge of fundraising and marketing principles.
- Successful track record of cultivating, soliciting and stewarding major individual, planned, corporate and foundation gifts.
- Demonstrated success in the development, implementation and evaluation of development programs.
- Strong management skills, both strategic and operational, with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and a record of building a talented staff.
- Successful track record of exceeding fundraising goals and a demonstrated ability to lead and inspire others.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors – either as a Board member or as a staff member supporting the development activities of an organization.
- Knowledge and ability to identify and engage relevant Foundations, granting agencies, and other strategic partners.
- Substantial work experience in developing and managing budgets and in developing and monitoring financial forecasts.
- Poise and executive presence which conveys a high level of credibility.
- A passion and understanding for the importance of education.
- Superb communication, presentation and interpersonal skills.
- Collaborative management style that builds and develops teams. Works well with people at all levels inside and outside the organization.
- High integrity and ability to maintain confidences which creates trust and communication with donors and staff.
Requirements for All Scholarship America Positions:
- Appreciation for and commitment to Scholarship America’s stated Values:
- Accountable for behaviors and results that create impact.
- Responsive, serving all constituents with the highest quality standards.
- United, working together to create the best results for all.
- Relevant, always evolving processes, products and communications.
- Integrity. Operates in the most ethical manner, always with students at the heart of our work.
- Demonstrated ability to work efficiently, effectively and cooperatively with other people; positive attitude.
- Strong command of the English language, with the ability to communicate both verbally and in writing, including grammar, spelling and punctuation.
- Highly organized, strong attention to detail in order to produce the highest quality work, including follow up and follow through.
- Demonstrated ability to add, subtract, multiply, or divide quickly and correctly.
- Ability to analyze information and evaluating results to choose the best solution and solve problems.
- Ability to communicate, listen to and understand information and ideas presented.
Open Until Filled
Complete the Online Application Form.