Sign up for email updates from Scholarship America
About the Scholarship America Dream Award
Scholarship America’s Dream Award is our newest multi-year, performance-based scholarship fund targeted toward completion. Awards will be given to students selected from across the nation who will be entering their second year or higher of education beyond high school, based on the fact that too often scholarships are only offered in their freshman year. The scholarships will be renewable and growing in amount, incenting the student to complete their education.
If you would like to apply for the Dream Award, visit the Award Criteria page to confirm your eligibility.
"We need to make sure our scholarships see students through to graduation, instead of just supporting them their first year," says Scholarship America President & CEO Lauren Segal. "It is a real tragedy for students, parents, donors and institutions when students drop out before they can complete their degree."
About Scholarship America’s Dream Award:
- Scholarship awards are between $5,000 and $15,000 each year, beginning in the second year and growing by $1,000 each year until graduation (up to a 5-year degree program).
- Both general scholarships and STEM-specific scholarships will be distributed each year. Students may choose either application track. (STEM applies to students in a science, technology, engineering or math related major or program.)
- Eligible students must be in at least their first year of a postsecondary degree or certificate program with a 3.0+ GPA, and must demonstrate financial need. In addition, community leadership and volunteerism, and overcoming barriers to school success will also be considered. (Visit the Criteria page for more details.)
- A portion of the dollars raised for this program will be distributed to local Dollars for Scholars chapters and used as matching money to raise funds for a similar local scholarship program based on this exact scholarship model. Currently, most of the chapters only provide smaller, one-time scholarships that support college access, but do not continue beyond a student’s first year of school.
- The first Dream Awards will be given out in Spring 2014 for the 2014-15 school year. The program will be promoted to students beginning Fall 2013.
How you can help.
Fundraising to support Scholarship America’s Dream Award is underway, spurred by an initial donation of $350,000 from Katie Couric in 2011.
Make a difference for deserving students by donating to this scholarship program today!
Dream Award Supporters
Scholarship America’s Dream Award received its initial funding thanks to the support of Katie Couric; since the program was created, more than 50 other supporters have also stepped forward to help establish this innovative new scholarship vision. We thank all of them and invite you to join the mission!
The Scholarship Coach
Scholarship America's blog, The Scholarship Coach, appears weekly at USNews.com, featuring expert advice on all kinds of scholarship issues. Here on the site, we feature a new highlight from the blog every week, and you can also download a free Scholarship Coach e-book!
Inspired By You
Our 2012 Annual Report, Inspired By You, features the students who are inspired by their scholarship support—and the donors and friends who inspire them.Visit the online report to read their stories and hear from our President, Lauren Segal.