Sign up for email updates from Scholarship America
About the Scholarship America Dream Award
Scholarship America’s Dream Award is a renewable scholarship fund targeted toward completion. Awards will be given to students selected from across the nation who will be entering their second year or higher of education beyond high school, based on the fact that too often scholarships are only offered in their freshman year. The scholarships will grow in amount each year, incenting the student to complete their education.
2016-17 Dream Award recipients will be announced in the spring of 2016 and featured at our Dreams To Degrees event in Washington, D.C.
If you are a student who would like to apply for the 2017-18 Dream Award, visit the Award Criteria page to confirm your eligibility. Applications will open again in October 2016.
"We need to make sure our scholarships see students through to graduation, instead of just supporting them their first year," said Scholarship America President & CEO Lauren Segal. "It is a real tragedy for students, parents, donors and institutions when students drop out before they can complete their degree."
If you have questions regarding the eligibility criteria or application process for the program, please contact us by email at email@example.com or by phone at 507-931-1682.
About Scholarship America’s Dream Award:
- Scholarship awards are between $5,000 and $15,000 each year, beginning in the second year and growing by $1,000 each year until graduation (up to a 5-year degree program).
- Both general scholarships and STEM-specific scholarships will be distributed each year. Students may choose either application track. (STEM applies to students in a science, technology, engineering or math related major or program.)
- Eligible students must be in at least their first year of a postsecondary degree or certificate program with a 3.0+ GPA, and must demonstrate financial need. In addition, community leadership and volunteerism, and overcoming barriers to school success will also be considered. (Visit the Criteria page for more details.)
- A portion of the dollars raised for this program will be distributed to local Dollars for Scholars affiliates and used as matching money to raise funds for a similar local scholarship program based on this exact scholarship model.
- The first Dream Awards were given out in Spring 2014 for the 2014-15 school year. A national selection committee made up of respected business and educational leaders teamed with Scholarship America's President & CEO, Lauren Segal, to select the recipients.
- The application period for 2017-18 awards will be open from mid-October until December, 2016.
How you can help.
Fundraising to support Scholarship America’s Dream Award is underway, spurred by an initial donation of $350,000 from Katie Couric in 2011.
Make a difference for deserving students by donating to this scholarship program today!
Support The Dream Award
Scholarship America’s Dream Award received its initial funding thanks to the support of Katie Couric; since the program was created, hundreds of supporters have also stepped forward to help establish this innovative new scholarship vision. Now, we invite you to join the mission!
Success By Degrees
Scholarship America's blog, Success By Degrees, covers items of interest to parents, volunteers, educators and anyone interested in the big issues surrounding education, financial aid and postsecondary success. You'll find policy announcements, news releases and more, every week!
2014 Annual Report
In 2014, more than 125,000 students received over $236 million in scholarship support and assistance from Scholarship America – a record-breaking year for the nation's largest provider of private scholarships.
Visit our 2014 annual report to learn more about our successes, our students and our future.